Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Visiting Teaching?!


Yesterday I had the interesting experience of going to the immigration prison to visit a Nepalese family who is LDS and has been imprisoned there for eight months. The ward goes to visit them to take them food and sanitary supplies, since all they receive to eat at the prison is porridge.


I met up with Cecille - a hilarious woman from the ward who is French. She is French in every way. She greeted me with a big wet kiss on the cheek, and then told me that she hadn't eaten breakfast yet. We went across the street to 7-11 where Cecille bought a Danish for herself and sweets and chocolate milk "for the children."


We then went to the prison where we learned that we were fifteen minutes too late to visit the family. I started praying HARD - while Cecille sat and argued with the guard. She was VERY persistent. The kicker was when she told the guard that she knows the King of Thailand, (not exactly sure that's true) but eventually we got it.


It was worse than I thought. The prisoners were lined up behind double iron gates like cattle. I walked down the row, and asked "Mormon?" to a sweet looking husband, wife and teenage daughter. They nodded excitedly. I shoulda known - the dad had a Annapolis MD 5k t-shirt on. The daughter and mom were separated from the dad by a bar. In the prison they are separated in different cells because of gender, so the only time they get to see their husband/father is when someone in the ward comes to visit. Cecille kept telling them that if she were there she would be kissing her husband - and then she would do these dramatic kissing actions. This part was VERY amusing.


We were there for an hour. We talked to them for a bit, and then let them talk to each other. It was so upsetting/maddening to me that they have to be there. When we left I turned around three times to wave to them, trying not to cry. They had a look of longing on their faces - but smiled and waved back all three times.


On a lighter note - I think I may be more French than I thought - since kissing and Danish's are two things I really enjoy. ;)

4 comments:

jm0622 said...

Laura Kaye, leaving her mark where ever she goes :) People appreciate you in any language, in any country, and in any circumstance. Hope all is well, we miss you!

Ali said...

Wow. What a sad situation. I am so glad that you and the o ther ward members are taking care of them as best you can. Any hopes of them being released?

Love you and miss you and love reading about your adventures!

Rachel said...

Quite the experiences you are having already! I hope all is going well. Glad to be reading about your travels and experiences.

robin marie said...

first of all... they have 7-11s in Thailand!?

what a crazy situation. so difficult for the family and for you!

on a side note, laura, you look like much hotter in thailand than we did in peru!!